Annual Report of “LAHARI”, 2013
I would like to give some details about what we at LAHARI are doing towards helping ourselves and the society. I thank the parents for being inspiring and motivating to your children. Your support and enthusiasm have helped these children mould themselves into good and noble kids. I am sure they will come to be balanced and mature children as they grow knowing what is right and what is wrong. I am also confident that having sown the seeds of Bhakti in them, they will grow to spread it and make a difference wherever they go. I would like to brief you about the various activities that we at LAHARI have been doing. It is all because of your patronage and team work.
• Conducted Vishnu Sahasranama Competition in February 2013 Judged by Smt. Shanta Vishwanathan
• Participated in group chanting during ganesha chaturthi celebrations by seniors and juniors. They chanted
“Ganesha Pancharatnam, Ganga Stortram, and Vishnu Sahasranama. The big honour was that we were “invited” to chant. I had few kids join the sloka class after this performance This means to say that LAHARI kids are making a difference in the life of others and are also inspiring young minds. Good going.
• Participated in the Dussera celebrations of White House n the form of skits like “The Akshaya Patram” and “Saints of India” which was well received and appreciated.
• Two of our kids participated and won the Gita chanting competition in the Krishna Janmashtami celebrations in Ganesha Temple, R.T.Nagar.
• Children of LAHARI gave a bhajan performance for Navarathri in front of the White House temple for Navarathri
• Children also participated in the bhajan singing for Dussera celebrations in white house
• Senior children participated in the Annapoorna stotram competition held in November 2013.
As part of LAHARI charity drive, we have donated more than half the fees collected to organizations which are doing service to preserve and spread our vedic culture. I have given the website of most of them. You may visit the websites. If you wish to donate to these organizations, please do so. Come to think of it, what we donate in life is just a drop to what service people out there are doing. So, please donate liberally to vedic studies and its promotion. We are all so gifted in life, let us thank GOD by doing a drop of danam. I am sure all of you are doing charity in some way or the other. Just in case, you want to support vedic institutions which are doing an amazing service towards preserving and spreading vedic studies, you may donate to these organizations below, if you please. The following are the organizations which we donated to
1. Kinchit karam Trust – This is started my Shri.U.Ve Velukudi Krishnan who is doing a great job in spreading shri vaishnavism. He has undertaken many programs which spread and inspire vedic learning. http://kinchitkaramtrust.org/kkt/
2. Kacchi moodoor Archakas Trust – This is an organization which was started under the initiative of Maha Periva of Kanchi. The aim is to support archakas in temples of remote areas. It doesn’t just restrict to pay these archakas but sees to it that they are constantly evaluated on their vedic skills and how much they are able to work selflessly. They have regular exams to keep themselves abreast. http://kmawt.org/
3. Sandeepani gurukulam – Stared by Shri. Muralidhara swamigal. This also aims to spread the vedic learning and also “GO (cow)” samrakshanam. They have undertaken the work of old temple renovation and are doing a wonderful job. Apart from these, they have also undertaken social responsibility in many villages.
Please visit: http://madhuramurali.org
4. Vedaparayana Trust: This was formed with the aim of celebrating the birth anniversary of Shri Adi Shankaracharya, the advaitist. Many homams and veda sadas were conducted as part of this celebration. Many Sanskrit scholars were honoured.
5. Saraswati Vidyalaya Patashala , Mattur, Shimoga: This is another school which promots vedic studies. This is a village which has most of the people talking in Sanskrit. I came to know about this trust through an article in “THE HINDU”. They have their own pathashala which teaches children Vedas, Upanishads and other chants making them good Brahmins. For more details and to donate, please visit: http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/history-and-culture/tale-of-two-villages/article4581221.ece .It was heartening to see that Sanskrit has its due respect at least in one village of India.
6. Jagadguru Kanchi Mamunivar Trust: Started by an ardent devotee of Maha Periva, Smt. Rajalakshmi Vittal, she along with her husband who are in their 70s are running this trust. Their aim is again to reach and spread vedic studies as much as possible. My in-laws have been there and have lauded their selfless work and dedication. http://kanchimamuni.org/ourcharity.htm
7. A separate drive to collect money to the temple committee of our White House temple was done and children donated liberally. Thanks to you all.
Apart from the charity to vedic organizations, we also donated to the following
• Ashwini charitable trust: an NGO that provides education to underprivileged children from urban slums in Bangalore. They do a lot of sponsorship to deserving poor children. http://ashwinitrust.org/
• Sharanya Trust : A government orphanage which is in our own R.T.Nagar premises which houses only 25-30 girl children. These people also are doing a wonderful job. Do visit this once if you haven’t.
So, parents a big thank you for all your help and support. We are all doing a drop service and when each drop in the form of a child comes together, it forms a lake, river and an ocean. So, let us continue this service come what may. Let us hold to our magnificent Hindu Dharma and spread it wherever possible